Friday 27 December 2013

Couples Prenatal Yoga Workshop @ Surya Yoga

I was delivering my first born, Jonathan at the time. My husband joined me in the delivery room to offer his support. You might find this rather funny (I do sometimes!), but the inspiration to start the couples prenatal yoga workshops at Surya Yoga was my loving husband! 

In the midst of all my painful contractions and determined focus, I realized that my husband was in a state of shock and was panicking, hiding himself behind a door! I could see how badly he wanted to help me but he just didn't know how. He grew awfully pale seeing me in pain. In fact, the doctor at the time was rather concerned over him.

After giving birth to Jonathan (who is a now a vibrant little boy *smiles*), I decided that a couples prenatal workshop would actually prepare BOTH first time mom and dads for pregnancy and what to expect during labor. It would give them a rough idea on what to do and expect. More importantly, give first time dads a heads up on the stages of contractions and how to be of assistance during labor.

So let me explain a few topics that we cover during the workshop.


Topics covered in Couples Prenatal Workshop at Surya Yoga:


  • Firstly, it's suitable for couples at any stage of pregnancy.
  • The workshop starts off with breathing exercises and yoga poses that will create and enhance the bond between dad, mom and the unborn baby. 
  • Then it's time for prenatal yoga couples poses where couples learn to stretch together. It's a great form of bonding and infectious fun. Couples learn how to work as a unit.





  • Next up are simple and safe massage techniques. It will help equip husbands how to assist their pregnant partners that may have back pain, stiff shoulders and other common physical ailments caused by pregnancy. Husbands need to know how to alleviate any pain their partners are feeling.





  • The workshop will then go into the stages of contraction and how to prepare for it. The workshop will highlight the important things to be aware of in the labor room.
  • We also cover breathing techniques for couples to do in the labor room. Husbands will also learn gentle massages to help alleviate pain and how to give verbal support.





  • Not forgetting, couples will learn how to handle possible episodes of depression that occur before and after giving birth.
  • Lastly, a session of couples meditation. 




The couples prenatal workshops conducted at Surya Yoga are unlike antenatal workshops offered in most hospitals. We focus more towards bonding, love and couple intimacy. We give guidance on how to better understand each other during pregnancy. We educate women on the changes their body will go through and how to enjoy the journey of pregnancy.





I've been conducting these workshops at Surya Yoga for some years now. We have received many positive responses from our participants. It seems that my loving husband, despite his mild panic attack, paved the way for future dads to be more prepared and more informed. For time to time, my husband and I laugh over what happened. Safe to say, he will be my knight in shining armor and my rock the next time round!





We have it 3-4 times a year at Surya Yoga. You only need to attend our workshop once throughout pregnancy. It usually goes on for an hour and a half. Couples are charged RM 50 for the workshop. Updates can be found at our main website http://www.suryayoga.com.my


Prenatal Couples Workshop 2014
Saturday, 22nd February 2014
Saturday, 12th July 2014
Saturday, 16th August 2014
Saturday, 15th November 2014

Do contact us at mysuryayoga@gmail.com for any inquiries, we will be happy to assist you.



Namaste
Jo





No comments:

Post a Comment