Tuesday 12 November 2013

Pregnancy Scare: My Bell's Palsy Experience

My name is Josephine, most people call me Jo at Surya Yoga. It looks like you've stumbled upon my baby blog! I'm a prenatal yoga instructor and currently carrying my second child, I'm almost 4 months in and I'm really excited! I decided to start this blog to share with others, new mummies and mummies-to-be some of my humble personal experiences and this motherhood journey I'm currently on. 



Me and my 3 month baby bump!

I'm planning on covering pregnancy topics from nourishing traditional Chinese herbal soup recipes right up to prenatal yoga tips (and much more in time!). I guess in a way, I'll blog as I go. Go where motherhood takes me, and sure enough! I'll blog about it!

So yes, here goes my first blog post and I'd like to share with you an experience rather close to my heart. I was 32 weeks pregnant with my first child, Jonathan when one night, I had an awful migraine, my head just wouldn't stop pounding. I didn't think much of it, took some pain killers and went to bed. I woke up the next morning feeling rather odd. I realised that my face felt numb. Even putting on my everyday contact lens felt really difficult.

I consulted a general practitioner and he mentioned that it could be Bell's Palsy. I had no idea what that was at the time, reasonably so because after my research later on, Bell's palsy is extremely rare. In fact could even be one in a million - if it was pregnancy onset Bell's palsy. He referred me to a neurologist immediately. The neurologist explained that I had a swollen nerve at the side of my ear which is blocking impulses from reaching the brain.

What is Bell's Palsy?

It's a form of facial paralysis resulting from dysfunction of the cranial nerve causing the inability to control facial muscles on the affected side. I've read that it occurs 3.3 times more likely in pregnant women.

The neurologist prescribed me some vitamin B5 to strengthen the affected nerve and a course of steroids. I was okay with the vitamins (naturally), but taking steroids? Needless to say, I was shocked and extremely worried how it would affect my baby at the time but I didn't have a choice.

After a week of vitamin B5 and even steroids, I saw no improvement. I decided to seek out alternative medicine even. I tried acupuncture, crystal healing and even traditional massage and still, there was not much improvement.

My gynaecologist at the time recommended that I see an ENT. He prescribed me an even stronger dose of steroids. I hit an all time low. I struggled. I really struggled. I couldn't smile, I couldn't express myself, I couldn't even speak clearly. I fell into a depression. 

I kept to myself, I just stayed at home. I had no idea what I could do or who I could turn to for help. Worse of all, I felt helpless because I had no choice but to take medication and steroids to make things better, but at what cost? What if anything happened to my first born? I knew that pregnancy would be a challenge, but Bell's Palsy on top of that? 

At that point in time, my world suddenly shrivelled up and felt awfully dark. I had no clue how things were going to pan out, how things would unfold. What if this was permanent?

I bit the bullet. I kept on with all my efforts, and thankfully, after 3 weeks I miraculously recovered 80%! You could hardly tell that I had Bell's Palsy! For 3 scary weeks I could only control half of my face. It took me 6 months after that to really truly recover. My speech improved and I no longer slurred my words. It was the most scariest experience of my entire life. 

Who could ever imagine getting Bell's Palsy due to pregnancy? High blood pressure maybe, but Bell's Palsy?

I gave birth to Jonathan, now a spirited little boy (who just can't wait for his little sister to come!), with little complication and I'm happy to say that in all, it was a scary experience but one that made me believe a little more in happy endings and miracles.



My little Jonathan (or 'Jon Jon')









Back to my normal 'smiley' self.

Thanks for reading.


Namaste,
Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment